Your privacy is important to us so we have developed this policy to ensure that your privacy is respected and maintained at all times.
- Fergus Bell, Accountant is bound by the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
- Please note that if at any time Fergus Bell, Accountant is required by law to release information about you or your organisation, we must cooperate fully in accordance with the law.
What Information Do We Collect and Hold?
In the course of providing accounting, taxation or advisory services, Fergus Bell, Accountant may collect information about you including your name, gender, tax file number, address, date of birth, telephone number/s, email addresses, occupation, health insurance details, bank account details, financial information and other information.
This information may be collected in a number of different ways including:
- directly from you at a face to face meeting, through the post or over the phone when performing an engagement of accounting, taxation or advisory services.
- when you send us an email.
- from third parties such as banks, insurance providers, stock brokers, legal advisors or financial planners who send us information on your behalf.
- from publicly available sources.
- from my website server which collects anonymous information such as the type of browser and system you are using, the date and time of your visit, your server IP address, the website that you have come from and the one that you have just left to.
What Happens If You Do Not Provide Information?
If you choose not to provide certain information we may not be able to provide you with the service or advice that you require or the level of service that we strive to attain.
How Do We Use the Information We Collect?
- Fergus Bell, Accountant collects the information to provide you with a specific service. For example, we may use the information you provide us to prepare and lodge your annual income tax return.
- We also use your information to identify what information we should send to you (by post or email) that we consider may be useful or valuable to you. If at any time you receive material that you no longer wish to receive, you may opt out of this service by contacting us through one of the means listed at the bottom of this page.
- Website information provides useful statistical data such as number of hits, time spent on my site etc.
- Where “sensitive” information (as defined by the Privacy Act) is provided, it will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was provided unless you agree otherwise or where required by law.
- In the event that we receive unsolicited personal information, we will determine if you have given your consent to its delivery and that the information is necessary to provide our services, or alternatively is authorised under Australian law, in which case it will be dealt with in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles as though it had been solicited. If not, the information will be destroyed as soon as possible provided it is lawful to do so.
Who Do We Disclose Your Personal Information To?
- We will not sell, rent, trade or otherwise supply to third parties any personal information obtained from you unless you consent.
- We will disclose your personal information to your authorised representatives such as auditors, advisers, legal team or bankers when you request us to do so.
- In some instances the third parties or authorised representatives that we may disclose your information to may be based overseas. For example your US accountant or US property manager.
How Do We Keep Your Personal Information Secure?
Fergus Bell, Accountant has implemented security measures designed to protect against the loss, misuse and/or alteration of the information under its control. These security measures include:
- Physical records are kept in areas restricted to Fergus Bell, Accountant employees who are subject to strict confidentiality guidelines.
- Electronic records are protected by software that guards against network attack as well as firewall, anti-virus functions, passwords and digital certificates.
- Electronic records are subject to regular back-up and storage in a secure on-site location.
Correcting and Updating Your Personal Information
If you need to modify information that you have previously provided, you may do so by email, post, telephone or fax using the contact details at the bottom of this page.
If you would like to access the information that Fergus Bell, Accountant has collected about you, you may do so using the contact details at the bottom of this page. We will not charge you for responding to such a request unless we incur costs in providing the information.
Access to your personal information may be denied where your request falls within the exceptions outlined in the Privacy Act. For example your request is frivolous or vexatious, relates to commercially sensitive information or is unlawful.
More On Your Privacy
If you want to know more about your rights when it comes to privacy protection in Australia you can find the information you need at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website www.oaic.gov.au or by calling the Commissioner on 1300 363 992.
Complaints or Concerns
My aim is to ensure that your personal information is treated confidentially and carefully. If you are concerned or have an issue with the use, storage or collection of the information provided by you, please contact me so these concerns can be resolved in a timely manner. If you wish to make a complaint in relation to the handling of your personal information, or in relation to your dealings with us about your personal information, you may do so by contacting the person at the bottom of this page.
We will acknowledge your complaint as soon as practicable within 7 days, and will aim to resolve your complaint within 30 days of receiving it. If for some reason we need more time to resolve the matter we will ask you to extend the 30 day period (if you do not agree to extend the period we may not be able to resolve your complaint).
How to Contact Us
Contact Name: Fergus Bell
Postal Address: PO Box 872, Cooroy QLD
Telephone: (07) 5447-6741
Fax: (07) 5636-0971